101RECIPES: Coffee cream puffs
Coffee cream puffs are a delicious treat to be enjoyed in one bite! You can serve them at the end of the meal but also for breakfast, to start the day with the energy of coffee in its most delicious form.
Ingredients for cream puffs dough
- 500 ml of water
- 100 g of flour
- 50 g of potato starch
- 120 g of butter
- 4 eggs
- a spoon of sugar
- grated zest of one lemon
- a pinch of salt
Ingredients for coffee cream
- 500 ml of milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 30 g of flour
- 80 g of sugar
- a cup of cold Tazzulella coffee
- a packet of vanilla sugar
- 200 g of vanilla sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon of hot water
- 1/2 tablespoon of instant coffee
- To prepare coffee cream puffs, start with choux pastry: put a saucepan on the fire and pour the water, butter, grated zest of a lemon and a pinch of salt into it.
- Boil everything, then remove the saucepan from heat, pour the sifted flour and starch into it, and turn quickly with a wooden spoon.
- Put it back on heat and keep turning, until you get a more compact consistency. Finally, incorporate sugar and eggs well.
- At this point, remove the mixture obtained from heat and let it cool slightly; then put it in a piping bag and pour many pieces of compost, 4 or 5 cm in diameter, on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Bake in a hot oven at 180° for 20 minutes, or until you see that mixture has swelled and golden, forming many cream puffs, which you will set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare coffee cream: take a bowl and beat the egg yolks inside with the normal sugar, vanilla sugar and sifted flour; mix well and set it aside. In another saucepan, bring milk to the boil with coffee and then add egg and flour mixture, filtering it gradually.
- At this point, simmer for 8-10 minutes, until cream has hardened a little and then let it cool.
- Put cream in the piping bag and use it to fill your cream puffs, making a hole in the bottom.
- At this point, only icing is missing: in a bowl combine egg white, instant coffee and spoonful of hot water; give a first mix and then gradually add vanilla sugar, continuing to mix well to dissolve all lumps.
- Once you have obtained a uniform and thick cream, dip the top of your coffee cream puffs, keeping them upside down, then place them on a serving plate and let glaze solidify well.
- Once icing has cooled, you can enjoy your coffee cream puffs, or put them in the refrigerator to enjoy them cold.